Webcam: Troubleshoot Common Issues
Please note: If you see (HTML5) in the top left of your Device Setup, Practice, or Assessment, please visit this Help page instead.
If you're looking for help on setting up your webcam, please check out our step-by-step guide: Webcam: How to Setup. This article will help you troubleshoot some common webcam-related issues.
Why can't I access my webcam?
1. Close all applications that might be using your microphone + webcam (eg. FaceTime, Google, Skype, etc.)
2. If you have more than one webcam, sure the correct camera is chosen in your Flash Player Settings:
Right-click the within the webcam view > click on "Settings"
In the settings box, click on the small webcam tab > Choose the correct camera and view from the drop-down menu > Click "X" to close the box. Refresh the page.
If there are not any webcams listed, check to make sure that your webcam has been installed correctly. Close and reopen your browser. Remember, mobile devices such as phones or tablets are not supported at this time so make sure you're using a desktop/laptop with a working front-facing camera.
3. If you're having trouble with your webcam, it could be related to your Adobe Flash Settings. First things first, make sure that you've installed the latest version of Adobe Flash on your updated browser
If you're using an updated version of Chrome (recommended), you probably already have Flash installed by default! Just make sure to enable it on your webpage:
For more on how to enable Flash on FireFox, Safari, and Chrome, click here.
Why am I shown upside-down?
This normally occurs when webcam drivers are out of date. You'll need to update them on your computer and try again. Make sure to reset the default settings of your webcam's built-in software.
What should I do if my webcam is taking a long time to load?
- Refresh your browser. If that doesn't work, quit your browser completely or restart your computer and try again. You'll able to pick up where you left off.
- Make sure ad-blockers and firewalls are disabled as sometimes they can cause connection issues.
- Check that you have a stable internet connection.