Microphone: Troubleshoot Common Issues
For help with microphone setup, please first review our step-by-step guide: Microphone - How to Setup
Why is my microphone not working?
If you see a " We couldn't detect any audio" error, click the Retry Sample button to retry your response.
Then, try the following:
1. Close all other applications that might be using your microphone and webcam (eg. FaceTime, Google, Skype, etc.)
2. Make sure you're not using an incognito or private browser.
3. If you have more than one microphone, ensure the correct microphone is chosen in your permissions box. Right click on your recorder screen, click Settings, and click on the small microphone tab on the bottom to explore your options.
4. If no microphones are listed in the dropdown, check to make sure that your microphone has been installed correctly and working in other applications (like this online mic test).
5. If you're still having trouble, it could be related to your Adobe Flash Settings. Please ensure you've installed the latest version of Adobe Flash on your updated browser. If you're using an updated version of Chrome (recommended), you have Flash installed by default. Just make sure to enable it on your webpage under the lock 🔒icon to the left of your address bar. Ensure both Microphone and Flash are set to Allow.
For more on how to enable Flash on FireFox, Safari, and Chrome, click here.
How do I know that my audio is being recorded during my video responses?
During all of your video recordings, you should see a white dot flashing next to the microphone symbol indicating that audio is being detected.
Why is the audio in my sample playback distorted?
There could be a few reasons for this:
- Your microphone’s driver might be either outdated, missing, incompatible or corrupt. You can try to uninstall and reinstall drivers in your computer's device manager settings or use an alternative method such as a headset with a built-in microphone.
- You have a firewall enabled, which must be turned off as firewalls tend to cause frequent connection issues. After disabling your firewall, refresh the browser and/or try using an alternate browser (Chrome, Firefox or Safari are recommended).
- Check that you have stable internet connection.
If all else fails ...
- Restart your browser
- Restart your computer
- Try another browser (we recommend Chrome, Firefox, or Safari)