Connection: Troubleshoot Common Issues
Minimum connection speed required for Kira
The minimum bandwidth required to complete a Kira assessment is 1 Mbsp for downloads and 500 kbps for uploads. Please ensure your environment has a stable internet connection to prevent interruptions.
My connection is too slow or keeps cutting out
Here are a few things to try:
- Disable your browser's adblockers.
- Restart your device.
- Use a wired internet connection instead of a wireless connection.
- Close all other open windows and applications on your computer.
- Find an alternate location with a more stable internet connection, such as a friend or family member's house, a public library, local coffee shop, internet cafe, or local University or College campus.
- Try using a VPN if you're connecting from behind a region-wide network firewall. For more information see our guide on using a VPN.
- Try another device.
Error Messages & Possible Issues
"We recommend using a faster internet connection before continuing. If you choose to continue, you'll likely experience long pauses throughout the interview. Visit our Support page for more information."
- Please try the steps listed above in "My connection is too slow or keeps cutting out".
"We ran into an issue connecting to one of our servers. Please refresh the page and try again. If the problem persists, contact Kira Support."
- Please refresh the page and/or complete your Device Setup again. If the error persists, you may be trying to access Kira from behind a region-wide network firewall and might need to use a VPN. Please refer to our VPN article for more information.
- If you are completing Kira from a region that does not have a region-wide firewall (ie: China, UAE), and if this error persists, please Contact Us.
"We ran into an issue connecting to one of our servers. Please retry and you'll pick up where you left off. If this keeps happening, ensure you're on a stable connection or try again on a different connection. If the problem persists, contact Kira Support."
- Please refresh the page and try your practice question or assessment question again, and follow the steps listed above in "My connection is too slow or keeps cutting out".
- If this error persists, please Contact Us.
- If a "Connecting..." message is on the screen for more than 30 seconds, please refresh the page and try the question again. If this error persists, please Contact Us.
Blank Webcam Screen
- This may indicate that your connection has been lost during your preparation time before a question. Please refresh the page and try the question again. If the issue persists, please go back and complete another Device Setup.
Why does the Kira Connection test show different results than other online speed tests?
Kira's Connection test in Device Setup measures the maximum expected connection speed directly to one of Kira's media servers that's closest to you. While we have access to a growing number of servers, there may be some limitation to the location and quantity of servers. Speed tests (like speedtest.net) are designed to measure your internet connection's maximum expected internet speed by connecting you with a speed-testing server as close to you as possible. Therefore, results compared with Kira's speed test may vary.